Sunday 6 January 2013

Mariko Mori

Enjoyed the Mariko Mori exhibition at the Royal Academy in their 'new space for art and architecture' in Burlington Gardens.  It is full of optimism and embraces simplicity, clarity and connections.

It occurred to me as we walked through the familiar surroundings of what used to be the British Museum's Museum of Mankind, that I had not been there since I saw the 'Skeleton at the Feast' exhibition, about the Mexican Day of the Dead, in 1992. The building has not changed at all (although I understand that it is being refurbished and overhauled in a couple of years time).

This is the first paying exhibition based on the work of a female artist that the Royal Academy has staged since the Tamara Lempika exhibition of 2004. This link will take you to a list of past RA exhibitions: women's art work has usually been shown in the free areas like the cafe gallery and the friends' rooms.  This omission has bothered me for some time (not that I am suggesting there is anything wrong with viewing great art work free of charge).  Perhaps this excellent exhibition marks the beginning of a more balanced view from the Royal Academy.  (Disappointed there wasn't a catalogue for the exhibition though - although I was offered a very big book about women artists!)



No comments:

Post a Comment