Monday 26 November 2018

Imprinted, St Albans Museum and gallery, 24th Nov till 3rd feb

Everything is Kept

Delighted that one of my 'time pieces', Holding Still 2017, is currently inhabiting one of the Keepers Galleries at St Albans Museum and Gallery.  It's part of the Imprinted exhibition with Suman Gujralcurated by UHArts, University of Hertfordshire's arts and cultural programme.

We'll both be talking about our work in the gallery at a meet-the-artists event on 9th December, between 3.00 and 4.00 - all welcome - no need to book.

My piece includes twelve of my paintings, twelve pockets of the now dried flowers seen in the paintings, and the twelve vases that are featured in the paintings - all given to me or purchased from craft stalls or second hand shops throughout my life. The paintings were made one per month on the day that I picked the flowers.  I made the paintings over a few hours, never allowing myself to go back to them once the day was finished.  They are in second hand frames that I repurposed to fit the paintings. The vases in this show were all made by other people and I hope I remember to acknowledge them where I can.  This seems a good place to start:

Here are the credits for the vases:




(From top, left to right)

January: Tintagel Pottery, 1984
February: Lisbeth de la Cour, 2003
March: Lisbeth de la Cour, 2005
April: Denby, 1930
May: Ford and Sons, Derby pattern, Burslam, 1900
June: Trident Pottery, 2007
July: Unknown origin and date
August: Stuart Crystal Vase in Cascade Fuchsia Pattern, 1999
September: Unknown origin and date
October: Kinska, London, 2013
November: Jean Knowles, Norfolk, 2004
December: Wileman bone china c1840 - 1900

The frames also had previous lives and were reclaimed from family and friends' pictures and from second hand shops.  I now have a range of prints, paintings, drawings and embroideries, emptied from their frames - they are kept carefully and I'd like to find a way of showing them one day too. 

You can find out a bit more about this piece here.




No comments:

Post a Comment